Tuesday, February 2, 2010

How do I view new technologies before the course

Teaching in a low-banding CMI secondary school, I use new technologies like internet, computer, and camera in my teaching from time to time.
I rely a lot on the internet for searching useful information. Take the module on chimpanzees, for example. Photos about chimpanzees and its habitat were downloaded. Internet articles were modified and worksheets were designed depending on the information from Wikipedia (www.wikipedia.com).
Except the printed materials, I use youtube (www.youtube.com) a lot in my class to introduce hot social events and popular culture to my students because most of them do not use English in their personal life because of their low social-economic background.
Powerpoint helps a lot with my lesson presentation so that I do not need to write much on the blackboard. But sometimes the effectiveness of the lesson is restricted because of this. Students’ responses go far beyond what have been prepared. Sometimes it accounts for the fact that the lesson is quite teacher-centred. Students find the class not interactive.
I believe I can learn more ways to get myself out of the trap so that I can make full use of different types of new technologies to assist my teaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment